LSS takes all complaints we receive seriously and assesses each one to determine its validity.
We consistently record, acknowledge, and consider all complaints in a timely, fair, and sensitive manner that respects the privacy of all parties. However, statute and policy prevents us from disclosing any information about our legal aid clients.
How do you make a complaint?
If you believe an individual doesn't qualify for legal aid and would like to make a complaint, you must do so in writing. Please include the following information:
- The individual’s full name
- Their date of birth (if available)
- Details as to why you think the individual doesn't qualify for legal aid
- Any documents that may support your claim (if available)
You may use the Record of Complaint form to submit your complaint.
Audit & Investigation Department
Legal Services Society
400 – 510 Burrard Street
Vancouver, BC V6C 3A8
Please consider the following when submitting your complaint:
- Provide us with a clear idea of the problem you've experienced and the solution you want.
- Give us all the relevant information you have (or know about) up front.
- Attach any relevant supporting documents that'll help clarify your complaint.
- Tell us new facts as they arise.
- Let us know if you no longer want our help.
- Cooperate with us.
- Treat us with respect.
What is our complaint process?
Once we receive your complaint, our Audit and Investigation Department will do the following:
- Record your complaint and send you an acknowledgement letter within 10 days of receiving your letter.
- Assess the complaint. Note that we're unable to confirm whether or not an individual is receiving legal aid or provide any information about our clients.
- Determine whether the complaint is within its authority (in accordance with the complaints policy) and refer you to the appropriate department/office for resolution if it isn't.
- Resolve the complaint. However, for confidentiality reasons we can't report back to you any information about your complaint.
We thank you for taking the time to advise us of your concerns.