BC Family Law Case Law Updates. Chapter 1: Separation Date; Asset Disposal (Oct 2019)
[13:30] Lawyer Agnes Huang (Saltwater Law) discusses case law on date of separation and restraint on asset disposal. For community workers and advocates. Part 1 of 8. Topics include:
- Communicating the intention to separate
- Disagreements about date of separation
- Can parties be separated even if they still live together?
- Marriage-like relationship while not living together
- Talking to a divorce lawyer not indication of separation
- Date of separation important for property purposes
- Freezing order, restraining order on assets
- Getting orders to release certain assets
For more information on Family Law in British Columbia:
- Family Law in BC
- Aboriginal Legal Aid in BC
- MyLawBC (featuring Q and A pathways to get tailored action plans, and free online mediation to make a parenting plan)
- Clicklaw (online compendium of resources)
- Family Law Line
- Legal Aid BC Resources for Community Workers, including free print publications in a range of languages
- Dial-a-Law (call in to hear legal information)
Please note: Legal Aid BC resources are for professional development. They don't provide legal or other professional advice. Law is constantly evolving; changes in practice and procedure occur frequently. Exercise your professional judgment about the correctness and applicability of the material. Please refer to the relevant legislation, case law, administrative guidelines, and other primary sources. The views and conclusions expressed here are not necessarily those of Legal Aid BC.
Legal Aid BC helps all British Columbians with serious family, child protection, immigration, and criminal law issues. We give free legal information to everyone, and advice and lawyer services to eligible British Columbians.
Credits: Presentation by Agnes Huang, Saltwater Law. Filmed and edited by Paul Donovan, Focus Audio Visual Services Ltd., Production and publication coordinated by Kate Murray, Bridget Greenwood, Baljinder Gill, Ella Droko, and Brian Goncalves, Legal Aid BC. Thumbnail design by Caitlin Kuo and Brian Goncalves, Legal Aid BC.