BC Housing and Tenancy Law. Chapter 2: Privacy, Co-ops and Non-Profits (Oct 2019)
[25:24] Lawyer Amber Prince (Atira Women's Resource Society) discusses the systemic problems with information and privacy in tenancies. For community workers and advocates. Part 2 of a 3 part panel. Topics include:
- Power imbalance between landlords and tenants
- Information protected under the Human Rights Code
- What information landlords are always authorized to collect
- What information landlords are almost never authorized to collect
- Human Rights Code violations
- Overhousing or underhousing in co-ops
For more information on tenancy law in British Columbia:
- Tenants Resource & Advisory Centre (TRAC)
- Access Pro Bono
- Clicklaw (online compendium of resources)
- Community Legal Assistance Society
- Dial-a-Law (call in to hear legal information)
- Justice Education Society of BC
For more free public resources about the law in British Columbia:
- Aboriginal Legal Aid in BC
- Family Law in BC
- MyLawBC (featuring Q and A pathways to get tailored action plans, and free online mediation to make a parenting plan)
- Legal Aid BC Resources for Community Workers, including free print publications in a range of languages
Please note: Legal Aid BC resources are for professional development. They don't provide legal or other professional advice. Law is constantly evolving; changes in practice and procedure occur frequently. Exercise your professional judgment about the correctness and applicability of the material. Please refer to the relevant legislation, case law, administrative guidelines, and other primary sources. The views and conclusions expressed here are not necessarily those of Legal Aid BC.
Legal Aid BC helps all British Columbians with serious family, child protection, immigration, and criminal law issues. We give free legal information to everyone, and advice and lawyer services to eligible British Columbians.
Credits: Presentation by Amber Prince, Atira Women's Resource Society. Filmed and edited by Paul Donovan, Focus Audio Visual Services Ltd., Production and publication coordinated by Kate Murray, Bridget Greenwood, Baljinder Gill, Ella Droko, and Brian Goncalves, Legal Aid BC. Thumbnail design by Brian Goncalves and Caitlin Kuo, Legal Aid BC.