[11:58] How the PLC supports parents with child protection issues. Danielle Vanderende explains for community workers and settlement workers in BC. 1 of 7 presentations from an April 2019 panel on legal resources.
The focus of the Surrey PLC: a clinic to support parents experiencing child protection issues
The PLC model:
- Prevention: addressing concerns early so children aren’t removed from their families
- Collaborative processes to address Ministry concerns and avoid court if possible
- Supporting parents and caregivers to access a variety of community resources
- Client-centred approach: accompanying clients to appointments and meetings if needed
- Lawyers and advocates work as a team to support clients.
- Outreach: the PLC can attend your agency to do free advice clinics
- Education: the PLC can train and educate community workers.
- Concern for culturally-appropriate service and translation if necessary
To view all resource panel presentations in one video: click here.
More free public resources about the law in British Columbia:
- Aboriginal Legal Aid in BC (Legal Aid BC)
- Clicklaw (online compendium of resources)
- Family Law in BC (Legal Aid BC)
- MyLawBC featuring Q and A pathways to get tailored action plans, and free online mediation to make a parenting plan (Legal Aid BC)
Please note: Legal Aid BC resources are for professional development. They don't provide legal or other professional advice. Law is constantly evolving; changes in practice and procedure occur frequently. Exercise your professional judgment about the correctness and applicability of the material. Please refer to the relevant legislation, case law, administrative guidelines, and other primary sources. The views and conclusions expressed here are not necessarily those of Legal Aid BC.
Legal Aid BC helps all British Columbians with serious family, child protection, immigration, and criminal law issues. We give free legal information to everyone, and advice and lawyer services to eligible British Columbians.
Credits: Presentation by Danielle VanderEnde, Surrey Parents Legal Centre. Filmed by Focus Audio Visual Ltd. for Legal Aid BC. Edited by Paul Donovan, Focus Audio Visual Services Ltd., and Karen Dhanda, Legal Aid BC. Production and publication coordinated by Kate Murray, Ella Droko, Baljinder Gill, Brian Goncalves, and Bridget Greenwood, Legal Aid BC.