Your Welfare Rights: When You're on Welfare
Rules and responsibilities
This plain language booklet tells you what you need to know when you're on welfare, including:
- what the ministry might ask you to do and how you might do those things,
- what might happen if you don't follow the ministry's rules,
- income and assets you can have and still get welfare,
- your employment-related responsibilities, and
- how to appeal a ministry decision.
It also includes where to get help if you have a problem getting your welfare payment.
When You're on Welfare is the third booklet in the series Your Welfare Rights. The other booklets are How to Apply for Welfare and Welfare Benefits. The series replaces the booklet Your Welfare Rights: A Guide to BC Employment and Assistance.Your Welfare Rights — September 2019 Update
This online fact sheet gives general information about changes to some welfare rules since the booklets in the Your Welfare Rights series were published. The fact sheet describes changes that are now in effect, and lists changes that might not be in effect until early 2020.
This publication is for people who are comfortable reading and may have some legal knowledge.