Family advice lawyers

If you're a parent with a low income and going through a separation or divorce, you may be eligible for up to three hours of free legal advice from a family advice lawyer. You may be able to get help even if you don't qualify for a legal aid lawyer.

Family advice lawyers can provide advice about:

  • parenting time or contactaccess,
  • guardianshipcustody,
  • child support,
  • property division (limited advice),
  • tentative settlement agreements, and
  • court procedures.

If your income is higher than our financial guideline limits for legal advice services, you may still receive:

  • up to one hour of advice from a family advice lawyer if you're in mediation and have received a referral through the family justice counsellors.

Where can I find family advice lawyers?

Family advice lawyers are available at the following locations.

  • Family Justice Centres in:
    • Kamloops,
    • Kelowna,
    • New Westminster, and
    • Prince George.
  • Justice Access Centres in:

Get more information

For more information about this service, call Service BC and ask to be connected to the appropriate office.

Vancouver Victoria Outside Vancouver and Victoria
604-660-2421 250-387-6121 1-800-663-7867

Family Law in BC

Get legal information on divorce and separation, parenting, support, family violence, child protection, and other issues important to families.

Family Law in BC


Get a plan to help you deal with separation and divorce, abuse and family violence, foreclosure, or wills and personal planning.