Family advice lawyers

If you're a parent with a low income and going through a separation or divorce, you may be eligible for up to three hours of free legal advice from a family advice lawyer. You may be able to get help even if you don't qualify for a legal aid lawyer.

Family advice lawyers can provide advice about:

  • parenting time or contact / access,
  • guardianship / custody,
  • child support,
  • property division (limited advice),
  • tentative settlement agreements, and
  • court procedures.

If your income is higher than our financial guideline limits for legal advice services, you may still receive:

  • up to one hour of advice from a family advice lawyer if you're in mediation and have received a referral through the family justice counsellors.

Where can I find family advice lawyers?

Family advice lawyers are available at the following locations.

  • Family Justice Centres in:
    • Kamloops,
    • Kelowna,
    • New Westminster,
    • Prince George, and
    • Surrey.
  • Justice Access Centres in:

Get more information

For more information about this service, call Service BC and ask to be connected to the appropriate office.

Vancouver Victoria Outside Vancouver and Victoria
604-660-2421 250-387-6121 1-800-663-7867

Family Law in British Columbia

Get legal information on divorce and separation, parenting, support, family violence, child protection, and other issues important to families.

  Visit website
Media Object

MyLaw BC

Get a plan to help you deal with separation and divorce, abuse and family violence, foreclosure, or wills and personal planning.

  Visit website
Media Object