Parents Legal Centres
If a social worker from the ministry or a delegated Aboriginal agency contacts you or visits your home, you may be under investigation.
You have the right to free legal advice.
Call the Parents Legal Centre (PLC) immediately to find out if you qualify for a free lawyer and an advocate:
- 1-888-522-2752 (1-888-LABC-PLC)
The PLC lawyer and advocate can help you address the social worker’s concerns about your children’s safety (child protection) early on. Together they can help you find solutions that work for you and your family.
You may be eligible for PLC services if:
- you qualify financially, and
- you are a parent, guardian, or a person standing in the place of a parent.
There are ten PLCs located across BC: Campbell River, Duncan, Kamloops, Prince George, Smithers/Hazelton, Surrey, Terrace, Vancouver, Victoria, and Williams Lake.
To find a centre near you, see the map below. Enter your address or postal code, or click Use my location button, and then select the checkbox next to Parents Legal Centres.
If you don't live near a PLC, you may be able to get help at a PLC Network location in your community.
Parents Legal Centres help parents resolve their child protection matters early and collaboratively, offering services at any stage of the child protection matter.
The centres provide:
- information and advice on options for resolving child protection issues out of court,
- legal advice and representation, where appropriate, through collaborative processes such as mediation and family case planning conferences,
- legal advice and representation at uncontested hearings,
- an advocate who will support you and go with you to meetings and appointments, and
- referrals to other services, including online resources and other public agencies.